Kensington Palace Puts Kate Middleton Rumors To Rest With New Statement

Kensington Palace offered up new details about Kate Middleton’s condition, weeks after the Princess of Wales underwent a “planned” abdominal surgery and internet rumors began to swirl. A spokesperson for the princess brushed off social media speculation, telling HuffPost on Thursday, “Kensington Palace made it clear in January the timelines of the princess’ recovery and

Powered by NewsAPI , in Liberal Perspective on .

news image

Kensington Palace offered up new details about Kate Middleton’s condition, weeks after the Princess of Wales underwent a “planned” abdominal surgery and internet rumors began to swirl.

A spokesperson for the princess brushed off social media speculation, telling HuffPost on Thursday, “Kensington Palace made it clear in January the timelines of the princess’ recovery and we’d only be providing significant updates. That guidance stands.”

He reiterated that the princess is “doing well.”

The palace announced in a statement last month that Kate had undergone an operation on Jan. 16.

“The surgery was successful, and it is expected that she will remain in hospital for 10 to 14 days, before returning home to continue her recovery,” the palace shared with HuffPost at the time. “Based on the current medical advice, she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter.”

Catherine, Princess of Wales visits Kirkgate Market on Jan. 31, 2src23 in Leeds, England.
Catherine, Princess of Wales visits Kirkgate Market on Jan. 31, 2023 in Leeds, England.

Max Mumby/Indigo via Getty Images

After a nearly two-week hospitalization, the palace informed the public on Jan. 29 that Kate had “returned home to Windsor to continue her recovery from surgery” and was “making good progress.”

The palace has not yet confirmed Kate’s official diagnosis, though it is not thought to be cancer-related.

The Princess of Wales’ health news comes at a worrying time for the royal family.

The king underwent surgery on Jan. 26, after the palace said earlier that month he was seeking “treatment for an enlarged prostate.” He was discharged from the hospital ― where Kate Middleton was also receiving treatment ― three days later.

Buckingham Palace announced on Feb. 5 that King Charles had been diagnosed with cancer. The palace did not confirm the type of cancer ― only that it was not prostate cancer ― nor did it specify the severity of Charles’ diagnosis.

“During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted,” the palace said in a statement at the time.

King Charles III, with Queen Camilla, leaves The London Clinic on Jan. 29 in London. The king was receiving treatment for an enlarged prostate, spending three nights at the clinic.
King Charles III, with Queen Camilla, leaves The London Clinic on Jan. 29 in London. The king was receiving treatment for an enlarged prostate, spending three nights at the clinic.

Karwai Tang via Getty Images

“Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer,” the palace added. “His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties.”

The palace added that Charles “will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.”

Separately, Sarah Ferguson, former wife of Prince Andrew, was recently diagnosed with malignant skin cancer, which was found during treatment for breast cancer.

Support HuffPost

Our 2024 Coverage Needs You

At HuffPost, we believe that everyone needs high-quality journalism, but we understand that not everyone can afford to pay for expensive news subscriptions. That is why we are committed to providing deeply reported, carefully fact-checked news that is freely accessible to everyone.

Whether you come to HuffPost for updates on the 2024 presidential race, hard-hitting investigations into critical issues facing our country today, or trending stories that make you laugh, we appreciate you. The truth is, news costs money to produce, and we are proud that we have never put our stories behind an expensive paywall.

Would you join us to help keep our stories free for all? Your contribution of as little as $2 will go a long way.

As Americans head to the polls in 2024, the very future of our country is at stake. At HuffPost, we believe that a free press is critical to having well-informed voters. That’s why our journalism is free for everyone, even though other newsrooms retreat behind expensive paywalls.

We cannot do this without your help. Support our newsroom by contributing as little as $2 to keep our news free for all.

As Americans head to the polls in 2024, the very future of our country is at stake. At HuffPost, we believe that a free press is critical to creating well-informed voters. That’s why our journalism is free for everyone, even though other newsrooms retreat behind expensive paywalls.

Our journalists will continue to cover the twists and turns during this historic presidential election. With your help, we’ll bring you hard-hitting investigations, well-researched analysis and timely takes you can’t find elsewhere. Reporting in this current political climate is a responsibility we do not take lightly, and we thank you for your support.

Contribute as little as $2 to keep our news free for all.

Support HuffPost

Read More